The folks at Epsom Salt Council know more about us than we thought. Somehow, they tapped into the fact that football doesn’t rule our weekends and we would trade beers at the local sports bar for a yoga class with the girls, any day. We’re not sports snobs or anything, we just a love a good home spa treatment and because the Super Bowl holds our attention just long enough to catch the half-time show, we figured it’s as good a time as any to gather the girls in the kitchen and get busy with our own type of touch down. Epsom gave us the recipes—now it’s up to you to get the girls (and guys!) together.
And for the record, Epsom salt is actually magnesium sulfate and is considered one of the most versatile household products, with uses ranging from helping your garden grow to soothing achy muscles. Epsom salt is easy to use, easy to find costs about the same per use as a cup of coffee (and not the Starbucks kind).
So bottoms up and here’s to the (commercial-free) Spa Bowl!
Polished Pedicure Punt
- Mix ½ cup of Epsom salt with warm, soapy water.
- Soak feet to soften skin.
- Remove polish, cut and file nails and calluses.
- Soak feet in Epsom salt bath for 5 minutes.
End Zone Exfoliator
- For exfoliation, mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with ¼ cup of petroleum jelly and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Use the mixture to gently scrub away dry skin patches.
- Mix ½ tsp of Epsom salt into cleansing cream for deep-pore cleansing.
- Massage on skin, rinse with cool water and pat dry.
Blind-Side Bath Crystals
- Mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with a few drops of fragrance and food coloring or ½ teaspoon of glycerin. Store in an airtight container.