When the stress bug bites, bite back with a calming deep breath or try one of these tried-and-true tricks polled from the Spa Girls team.
1. Tune in. Create a calming music playlist on your phone or online music station with loungy, relaxing tunes. Plug in your earplugs and tune out the stress.
2. Moisturize. Keep a fragrant hand lotion in your office desk drawer. Apply whenever your hands feel dry or you feel cranky.
3. Wear pink. Slip into something pink on a day when you’re feeling blue (this works for guys too)! In color therapy circles, pink is believed to heal sadness and restore youthfulness. Pink also conveys compassion and an open heart so beware, it may also result in your friends over-sharing. More on color therapy
4. Pet you pet. Curl up with your dog or cat (or borrow a friend’s). A recent study by the University a Buffalo showed that pets can actually lower blood pressure better than some drugs! Read the study
5. Go for a walk. Leave your phone and electrical gadgets at home or at your desk and go for a brisk, 10-minute walk. The exercise stimulates circulation and good vibes, and the time away from helps you clear your noggin.
6. Take a power nap. Naps really do help restore your energy. If your boss asks what you’re doing curled up under your desk, tell him/her that your increasing your productivity. How to power nap
7. Make time for girl time. Sorry guys, you’re out in the cold on this one! There’s something magical about quality time with your girlfriends. Whether it’s a cocktail after work or a day doing nothing by the pool or side-by-side pedicures, a good girlfriend powwow does wonders for the soul. (P.S., Man-dates for you guys can work wonders too.)
8. Take a whiff. Sniff an aromatherapy oil for a quick pick-me-up. You can get small bottles of essential oils at your local health food store. Lavender calms while citrus scents like lemon and tangerine invigorate.
9. Take a dip. End the day with bubble bath or dip in a hot tub. The warm water helps calm your central nervous system and symbolically drains away the stress of the day.
10. Chew. Pop a piece of sugar-free gum in your mouth. It satiates the urge to snack on unhealthy snacks and works out aggression. Just don’t smack it too loudly, as it creates stress for others who might be in earshot!