Nothing beckons in spring like soft hands and pretty fingers. Here’s the quick rap on an easy home spa manicure. Before you start, gather all your tools, a few clean hand towels and something nourishing to sip while you work.
1. Clean and Shape
- Remove old lacquer with non-acetone polish remover.
- Clip only the tips of nails longer than 1/8 inch.
- File nails into a slightly squared oval shape.
TIPS: Tilt emery board slightly under nail and stroke in one direction. Resist the urge to saw your nails.
TOOLS: Nail Clipper with Catcher from Earth Therapeutics, $4; The Stripper To Go lavender polish remover finger mitts from the Lippmann Collection, $8 (available at Bath & Body Works stores); Sally Hansen La Cross Crystal Nail File, $8 (available at Walgreen’s and other drugstores).
2. Soften and Smooth
- Use nail buffer to gently smooth ridges.
- Rub cuticle oil onto cuticles.
- Soak hands for 2 to 3 minutes in warm water with a splash of olive oil or milk or try Got Buttermilk Hand Soak.
- Gently push back cuticles with an orange stick.
- Exfoliate hands with a gentle body scrub or make your own Hands Down Sugar Rub.
- Rinse and slather hands, arms and elbows with lotion.
TIPS: Don’t overbuff, no soaking in a soapy solution (Madge was wrong) and no cutting cuticle.
TOOLS: Cuticle Oil Treatment from the Lippmann Collection, $18; Hand Remedy Protective Conditioner from Earth Therapeutics, $8.
3. Polish and Practice Patience
- Swipe nail beds with remover again.
- Apply base coat, two coats of color and top coat.
TIPS: Allow each coat to dry at least 2 minutes, keep coats thin by using three strokes: one down middle, one down each side.
TOOLS: Rehydrating Base Coat and On a Clear Day Top Coat from the Lippmann Collection, $16 each; Fancy Free Nail Lacquer from SpaRitual, $9 (available at Fred Segal Beauty and other salons and spas).
4. Protect and Prolong
- Use gloves to protect hands when washing dishes are cleaning.
- Use a daily moisturizer and cuticle cream or oil.
- At night, slather on a rich hand cream.
TIPS: Reapply top coat every other day to help prevent chipping.
TOOLS: Rich Girl SPF 25 anti-aging hand and cuticle cream for day use, $24; Burt’s Bee’s Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme for nighttime use, $8.
Got a comment? Share your thoughts!