Everything you need to know about nails!
Nails are back in a big way! From ombre manicures to glitter pedicures, nails are becoming the ultimate fashion accessory. Who needs new pearls when you’ve got micro-pearl manis? Right, ladies? In honor of all things buffed and lacquered, we’ve rounded up the top nail trends, the hottest colors, tips on how to extend the life of your manicure and places to go to get a nail service on the cheap!
So many fun color combinations and techniques, so little time! Here are just a few of the fresh and funky nail trends that have us oohing and aahing!
Caviar: Pearlescent micro-beads paired atop a rich nail color has made the caviar mani one of the hottest manicures of Summer 2012 for DIYers and salons alike. While the look is stunning if done right, the holding power of the “caviar” beads is about 48 hours (if you’re lucky). It’s a great look for an event and the perfect excuse not to do the dishes!
Try: Ciate Caviar Manicure, available at sephora.com for $25. Watch for the new Velvet Manicure coming from Ciate this fall!
Ombre: From a matte finish, a glitter fade or a shade variant on every nail, the ombre look has been spotted on trendsetters like Lauren Conrad and Rihanna. Be ready to stand out!
Try: The New Black Ombre Nail Polish 5-Piece Sets in Haze, Wave, Horizon (our fave) and other shades, available at hsn.com for $22.
Glitter: Sparkles never go out of style. You can paint all fingers for a classic glitter look or use the ombre technique to stagger your glitter look. Or use it over top your favorite color. It’s all about your individual glitter style!
Try: Deborah Lippmann Glitter Nail Color, available at nordstom.com for $18
French: A white French tip is classic but this season, many of the hottest nail salons are mixing it up using contrasting colors. You can be super trendy by using a neon with glitter tips or mix a vibrant hue with metallic tips.
Try: MAC Ruffian Manicure: Demilune press-on black matte nails with chrome gold tips, available at maccosmetics.com for $9 (set of 24).
Neon: The brighter the better! Neon colored paws and claws have been spotted everywhere! Neon French manicures are one of the cutest and most subtle ways to sport this trend.
Try: Nails Inc. London Neons, available at sephora.com for $9.50.
Salon tip: While most salons offer nail art in some form or fashion, not all are equipped to offer the hottest trending styles. But, most are willing to. Just like hair stylists, nail technicians keep up with the latest looks and are constantly honing their skills. All you need to do is ask! Just a warning though, in our experience, some nail techs absolutely love doing nail art and others absolutely and positively do not.
Pale pink will always be the princess of most-wanted nail shades but with the rainbow of colors now available, why stop there? A few favorite nail colors of Summer 2012.
- Essie Turquoise & Caicos, a flirty aqua that goes great with a spray tan.
- NARS Amchoor, a yellow so bright, you’ll need to wear shades.
- Dior Psychedelic Orange, a pretty coral that doesn’t mess with your head.
- OPI Cozu-Melted In The Sun, a rose gold that shimmers in the sun.
- Orly Melt Your Popsicle, the orange that doesn’t mess around.
- Maybelline Denim Dash, because it goes with everything.
For more colors than you can put a pretty fingernail on, check out our “50 Shades of Great” nail polishes Pinterest board.
Short of not doing anything, you can prolong the life of your mani with these quick tips.
- When cleaning wear protective gloves. Seems obvious but not only are cleaning chemicals harsh on hands and nails but so is plain ol’ water.
- Apply an extra layer of topcoat after a couple of days to refresh your manicure, revive the shine and lock in the polish.
- Get a paraffin treatment to regulate the pH balance of the hands and nails.
- Use cuticle oil (olive oil works) to keep the cuticle area flexible and hydrated.
- Keep a rich hand cream on your bedside table and slather it on before you hit the sack.
Nails on the Cheap
Need a quick mani or pedi but short on time or cash? Most nail salons offer express polish changes for dirt cheap! Here are just a few from across the Valley
Dolce Salon & Spa, Chandler, Peoria and Scottsdale
$15 for hands or feet
Lavender’s Day Spa, Surprise
$10 for hands or feet
Salon Surreal, Phoenix
$10 for hands, $15 for feet
Simply Ravishing – The Salon, Gilbert
Starting at $10 for hands or feet
Spatini Skin and Nail Spa, Scottsdale
$10 for hands or feet
Sundrops Nail Spot, Phoenix
$8 for hands, $12 for feet
More Nail Tips
- Relief for Cracked, Dry Heels
- How to Get a Safe Salon Pedicure
- The 3-Step Home Spa Manicure
- Home Spa Pedicure How-to
- Home Spa Treatments for Hands
- Home Spa Treatments for Feet
- Help with Nail Fungus
- 50 Shades of Great Nail Polish
Got your own tips on how to care for you nails? Do tell by commenting below!