Skincare innovator Rhonda Allison shares her five key strategies for fending off dry, scaly skin.
By Rhonda Allison
Founder Rhonda Allison Cosmeceuticals
Dry skin conditions can impact the skin year round, but during the winter months it becomes even more prevalent. This is especially true in desert regions. Not only is it uncomfortable, it also causes the skin to age faster, lose elasticity and radiance, and become more prone to wrinkles and furrows.
Of course over-hydrating can lead to the skin looking like an oil slick. So how can you find that happy balance?
1. Cleanse. Under-cleansing and over-moisturizing can dehydrate the skin because the moisturizing agent sits on the surface unable to penetrate the layer of build-up. But be aware of harsh soaps. Select a cleanser that also delivers nutrients like antioxidants, amino acids and proteins.
2. Exfoliate. Believe it or not, exfoliating is essential to rehydrating the skin. It clears a path for nourishing, hydrating ingredients to penetrate the skin. Be careful not to over-scrub though.
3. Avoid dehydrating cosmetics. Steer clear of alcohol-based products and clay-based masks, particularly bentonite. These can be very drying.
4. Nourish. Rehydrate the skin with omega 6 essential fatty acids. Linoleic acid heals, moisturizes and soothes while oleic acid is highly absorbable, which permeates the skin barrier and allows other nutrients to penetrate. Also look for vitamin E and geranium essential oil to hydrate without the oily appearance.
5. Protect. Always use sunscreen. Over-exposure to the sun is one of the top contributors to dry skin. Look for a natural blocker like zinc to avoid an oily look.
Every skin type is different, so keep in mind it’s not a one-size-fits-all. Your skincare professional should be able to develop a customized skin care regimen that fits your needs and the season.
Rhonda Allison, a pioneer in the skin care industry, is the Founder and CEO of Rhonda Allison Cosmeceuticals and RAW Skin Care for Men. She is also an author and internationally known speaker with more than 30 years’ aesthetic experience. For more, visit RhondaAllison.com and RAWmethod.com.